(go ahead and read, I will wait...)
Ok, now this brings me to a personal story. For Christmas we normally try to go and visit my family on the East Coast so I purchased tickets way in advance for the kids and I because Derick had to work on Friday but it was cheaper to go on the Friday. Anyways, I had checked in and paid for my bags which made everything so super easy when I arrived to drop off the bags in a separate line with no wait, I had a terrific driver (THANK YOU ANNE) that waited with the children while I ran in and turned in the bags and we flew through security, finally we arrived at the gate and had an hour delay. In my mind I thought thats ok I can still make it to my lay over. Then that hour turned into an hour and a half....now I was cutting it a little close, I only had a two hour layover. I loaded up on food for the kids to eat on the plane, boarded as soon as the plane was ready and prayed that I would make it. Then the taxi time took another twenty minutes...cue the stress!! My son was an angel on the flight...Sarah had slept waiting for the plane (which would not had happened if the plane was on time) so she was awake and screaming for most of the flight. We land, they say the local time, and then I realize I literally have two YES I SAID TWO minutes to get to the gate. Now with just me this might be possible but me ALONE with two children, my five year old walking and my one year old in a stroller not as possible that I am going to make it. Needless to say, I find out what gate I need to be at and I tell Kurtis we must run...does he complain...No he just starts to run and we fly threw the airport. I am sure people are looking at me thinking I am crazy but I am trying to make it home to my family and spend Christmas with them...did I mention this is the last flight out of Cleveland so if I do not make this flight it is me in the airport sleeping with my two children??? Back to the story: we make it to the gate but there is no one there I run to the counter next to it and explain the flight I am trying to make and the lady says oh that is the flight that is taxing out right now....then she sees the tears starting to flow from my eyes. She used the phone and called the pilot and what seemed like hours but was only a few seconds quickly came to an end when the pilot decided to taxi back to the gate and pick us up. Which leads me to why I am typing this...THANK YOU pilot, thank you for coming back for me and my two children to be sure that I made it to my family and did not have to sleep in the airport with my two children. Thank you to the other passengers on the plane who didn't say anything to me and make me even more upset.
Thank you all, I know my story is not as emotional as the story I linked to but it meant something to me that the pilot came back and I wanted to express that!
6 comments:
Your story made me tear up a little too because I pictured myself in your shoes and I can imagine your stress and frustration. I'm glad everything worked out.
Amy you are amazing. I don't know how you handle the stress of travelling alone so well. Glad it all worked out.
That is a miracle! I have never heard of a pilot doing that, you lucky duck! Don't you just love the Christmas spirit?
You are so cute. I am so glad it worked out! What happened to your luggage though? I miss you!
Our luggage didn't make it, but my FANTASTIC mom had taught me to pack a carry on with one change of clothes which of course I did (thank heavens this time!). But our luggage ended up going on an international flight and then to knoxville Tennessee it was lost for a full day and then showed up on the door step.
you totally made me cry! What a good story - such a relief for you and a wonderful christmas present!
Post a Comment