Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cheesecake Attempt

Okay, I did not take as good of a photo as Jill, but this is a family recipe from Jill, here is her blog which I LOVE. I am good friends with her sister who gave her blog and I am so appreciative (THANKS MELANIE) as most of my craft projects these days have come from her blog. This cheesecake was super easy and I really enjoyed it. Usually other recipes for cheesecake I have tried or even the restaurant cheesecakes seem a bit dry, but this was perfect filling!! Send me feedback if you try it!

Crust:
1 3/4 C graham cracker crumbs
1/2 C sugar
1 stick of butter, melted

Combine and press into a spring-form pan (bottom and about an inch up the side).Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until it starts to brown.

Filling:
3 eight oz. packages of cream cheese - cream until soft in mixer add
5 large eggs and beat until smooth
Add: 1 C sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and a dash of salt
Mix until well combined.

Beat it for at least 10 minutes.
Pour into the cooled crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until the top browns and the center isn't jiggly.
Check often after the 45 minute mark, but try to resist checking earlier.
Cool for about 20 minutes.

Sour cream topping:
Mix 1 1/2 C sour cream, 1/3 C sugar and 1 tsp vanilla
Pour on top of the cheesecake and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Chill at least 4 hours, but overnight is best.

Top with your favorite fruit when ready to serve.

I used a ten inch spring form pan which worked great, although my cheesecake ended up really tall which is not typical for a cheesecake, but it was delicious.

**NOTE: My crust ended up really hard, not too hard for your teeth but too hard for the fork. It tasted amazing but was just hard, if anyone can tell me how to fix that I think this is the most perfect cheesecake recipe I have ever tasted. I will have to try it again to see if maybe I just did something incorrectly.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

well going by the photo I would say this was not an "attempt" at all - it looks wonderful!

Amber said...

ha! I also love jill's blog--i check it all the time :) nice cheesecake!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job!!! Way to go Chef Amy

Rushell said...

Looks great Amy! Almost motivates me to try and make it.

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

MMMM... Now I am definitely in the mood for some cheesecake! That looks and sounds amazing!